Monday, March 15, 2010

Book Review

I spent a portion of my twenties in a bad relationship; a relationship that forced me to give up many things that I love. I have always loved to read and I gave it up because I was consumed by a person that required all of my attention. He is no longer in my life and I am thrilled that I finally have the chance to do things I love again. I have spent a lot of time catching up on my reading this year and that makes me truly happy.

Here is a little review on what I have read so far:

The Distant Land of My Father by Bo Caldwell. Great book about a girl growing up in Shanghai, China and her relationship with her father. I recommend it.

Girl Interrupted by Susanna Kaysen. Story of a girl admitted to a mental institution. Very interesting - definitely makes you think. Maybe we are all crazy?

The Idiot Girls' Action-Adventure Club: True Tales from a Magnificent and Clumsy Life by Lori Notaro. Cute short stories. Maybe a little too crude for me.

Precious by Sapphire. A winner, but hard to read. Deals with the mental/physical/sexual abuse a young girl endures from her parents. I watched the movie over the weekend - the book is better.

I just started a new book - Wanderlust: A History of Walking by Rebecca Solnit. I absolutely love it so far. I can't wait to keep reading!

1 comment: