Friday, March 19, 2010

I have haphephobia.

I have just diagnosed myself with haphephobia. I have it...I'm sure of it. See description of diagnosis below.

Haphephobia is an intense, irrational fear of being touched. The person coping with this phobia may also exhibit an overwhelming fear of touching others. Some haphephobic individuals are fearful of their personal space being encroached upon, while others may be fearful of contamination through touch.

I am freakishly frightened by germs. I hate being touched by someone I don't know...it gives me the willies. I am terrified that someone will invade my personal space/time. Crap, maybe this is why I'm single.

3 comments:

  1. No, you are not freakishly frightful of germs. You are freakishly frightened by them. Or they are freakishly frightful to you.

    Otherwise, though you are at an extreme, I would disagree it's a phobia. And it's not why you're single. =P

    ReplyDelete
  2. The germs aspect has nothing to do with this phobia. Haphephobia is very specific, and it is usually the result of a situation that the individual experiences such as rape, incest, molestation, and physical or sexual abuse, or of psychological trauma regarding one's body in relation to someone else.

    If you are more concerned with germs, then You may have a case of Germaphobia, in which case I suggest you look into.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a joke, CharlOtte...only a joke.

    ReplyDelete